- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Cabernet Franc
- Petit Verdot
Château Lafite Rothschild is located at the northern extremity of Pauillac and occupies the finest crests of the area.
It is one of the most renowned Chateaux of Bordeaux. It was first owned by Jacques de Segur in 1680. Then, his descendant Marquis Nicolas Alexandre de Segur improved the wine making techniques as well as the prestige of the wine produced. In the Versailles court in the 18th century, he started to be known as “The Wine Prince” and Chateau Lafite’s wine became “The King’s Wine”. It was one of the four First Growths noted by Thomas Jefferson during his visit to Bordeaux in May 1787.
The Château was acquired by the Rothschild family in 1868 and is at the origin of the Domaines Barons de Rothschild group which includes today Châteaux Duhart-Milon, Rieussec and L'Evangile. The vineyard consists of three major areas: the hillsides around the Château, the adjacent Carruades plateau to the west and 4.5 hectares in Saint-Estephe.
The Carruades de Lafite is the second wine of Lafite Rothschild. It takes its name from the Carruades plateau, which was composed of a group of plots adjacent to the Château’s best vineyards purchased by Lafite in 1945.
The specificity of the Carruades wine is their higher percentage of Merlot in the blend.