This course begins at 7.00pm, Tuesday 24th September 2013
The Chq building, IFSC, Dublin 1
Tel: 01 612 5540
€160 - includes Sheridan's cheese and crackers and at least 6 wines tasted during each session, plus a supper served on the last evening.
Commencing Tuesday 24th September 2013
Mitchell & Son Wine Merchants are delighted to announce the details of their Introductory Wine Appreciation Course to be held in September and October 2013.
The aim of Mitchell & Son Introductory Wine Course is to help participants get to grips with what is on offer in the Irish wine market, and how to get the best from a bottle of wine. Myths are challenged, prejudices are confronted, and all proceedings take place in a relaxed and sociable atmosphere. There is a strong emphasis on tasting, as we believe that this is the best way to learn about wine.
1- Course Contents
Session 1 (Tuesday 24th September)
a) Introducing the World of Wine – the Basics. We start off the course by learning how to get the most from the glass of wine in front of you. We examine why wines taste as they do, and look at tasting from as objective a view as possible. We learn how to write structured tasting notes, recording the appearance, nose and palate of the wines tasted.
b) Grape Varieties: An introduction to the most important wine grape varieties, both white and red.
Session 2 (Tuesday 1st October)
a) Making Wine and Reading the Label: This session deals with the growing of grapes and the production techniques involved in the making of wine. We will also look at labeling, and explains the thinking behind some of the systems in use to describe the wine in a bottle.
b) Wines of Europe: A tour of European wine regions.
Session 3 (Tuesday 8th October)
Wines of the New World and Fortified Wines: We look at the wines of the Americas, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and all inbetween. We will also look at Port and Sherry.
Session 4 (Tuesday 15th October)
Sparkling Wine, Storing Wine, Food and Wine Matching: How to look after your precious liquid assets. Common mistakes made in storing wine. Serving red and white wines. Final night supper, and presentation of Course Completion Certificates.
We strongly advise you to leave your car at home for this class!
2- The general details of the course are as follows:
- The Course will run on four consecutive Tuesday nights, from 24th September to 15th October 2013.
- The course fee is €160 which includes all notes and wines tasted in each class as well as supper on the last night.
- Places on the course are strictly limited to 20, ensuring all participants are comfortable and that there is time for questions.
- The course will be held in Mitchell & Son, CHQ Building, IFSC, Dublin 1 and will commence at 7.00 pm sharp each evening. The lecture and tasting usually finish at about 9.00pm. There will be cheese and crackers served every evening from Sheridan's Cheesemongers & a light supper with cheese will be served on the last night of the course.
- Participants are kindly requested to be punctual, as late arrivals can cause considerable disruption to the class once started, and can have an effect on the finishing time.
- All participants will be entitled to order the wines tasted on the course at a 12% discount on a one-off basis for a limited period, and an order form for all wines will be distributed on the final night.
3- Terms and Conditions
- Places are limited to 20 participants; therefore applications will be treated strictly on a first-come, first-served basis.
- An application will only be accepted in the form of a completed Booking Form and full payment for the entire course. A separate Booking Form must be filled out for each participant. Deposits will not be taken, nor will places be reserved before a completed Booking Form and full payment have been received.
- A reminder will be sent by e-mail to all participants a week before the course is due to start.
- Mitchell & Son Wine Merchants reserve the right to cancel the course or alter the date of scheduled classes if necessary. All Participants will be contacted immediately in this event.
- In the event of a participant failing to attend classes or arriving late to classes, Mitchell & Son are not obliged to refund the participant, make places available on subsequent courses in respect of classes missed; or to provide alternative goods or services in lieu of missed classes.
To reserve your place on this course, please contact Amy Farrell or Peter Dunne in our CHQ Shop on 01 612 5540, send us an email at email@example.com or click here to book online