Green Spot was originally produced exclusively for the Mitchell family who, commenced trading in 1805 on 10 Grafton St. in the heart of Dublin city as purveyors of fine wines and confectionary. Four generations later, the company is still in the wine and spirits business, under the stewardship of Jonathan Mitchell and his son Robert. The Mitchell family expanded into whiskey bonding in 1887, whereby they sent empty wine, sherry and port casks via horse and cart to the local Jameson Distillery, which were then filled and returned to the Mitchell’s cellar warehouse. There, the whiskeys matured for many years under bond until they were ready to be bottled and sold.
The Green Spot name originated from the Mitchell family’s practice of marking casks of different ages with a daub of coloured paint. There was a ‘Blue Spot’, ‘Red Spot’ and a ‘Yellow Spot’, but Green Spot emerged as their most popular whiskey and is one of the few “whiskey bonder brands” to survive to modern day.
Green Spot's traditional green bottle is now replaced with a stylish clear glass bottle with higher shoulders, a shorter neck and an enlarged base offering the perfect backdrop for the striking new label. A contemporary canister, which features an image of a cask marked with a green spot, is set to increase the gift appeal of this celebrated limited release expression.