- 100% Chardonnay
Brian Bicknell, formerly of Seresin estate established this Marlborough winery in 2001. The winery has 30 hectares under vine and a further 3 leased vineyards, all of which are run on organic principals. The vineyards are planted to Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris and Pinot Noir. The style of winemaking is to allow vineyards to speak through the vines with the wines being made in a very “hands off” manner. Vineyards are harvested by hand and fermentation is done with wild yeast.
Mahi, meaning “our work, our craft” set out to produce wines which were the antithesis of what had become too commonplace in Marlborough by then, “fruit-bomb” wines, with many of the wines getter bigger and with little variation in style.
5 reasons we think Mahi wines are so special:
- 5 diverse vineyard sites all certified organic
- Hand harvesting of the fruit allows greater quality selection
- no press wine is used - only free run juice
- Partial fermentation in wood with some lees stirring
- Wild yeast fermentation with no additives to the juice