Weddings & Events
Choosing Wines for your Wedding
A wedding is a unique and unforgettable day where every detail is important: the venue, the flowers, the caterer, and the food and wine. The staff at Mitchells can help you choose the wines for your special day taking into account the number of guests, the menu and, of course, your own preferences and budget.
The main points to take into consideration are:
1. Plan Ahead - We advise that you start talking to us as many weeks as possible before the wedding. The wines that you wish to serve may be in short supply and will have to be ordered or imported. Once you have an idea of numbers and possible menus, come and see us. Have a realistic price-per-bottle in mind at an early stage! Our wines are competitively priced, but the sheer numbers involved in a wedding means that the total soon mounts up.
2. With our help, draw up a shortlist of possible wines. You can then taste these at your leisure in the shop or take them home perhaps to discuss or share with your family.
3. Red and white wines should probably be ordered 50:50. This may change depending on the season or the menu.
4. At an early stage talk to your shortlisted venues about their corkage charges, which at first sight can seem very high, especially for Champagne and sparkling wine. Bargain hard, as they want your business, and get it in writing! Also, we can provide your wine on a sale or return basis but anything we take back has to be in saleable condition. Be sure to instruct your venue not to pre-open all of the bottles.
5. Quantities. Depending on the type of glasses you use and how you pour, you’ll get 6-8 glasses out of a Champagne or sparkling bottle, and 4-6 glasses from a bottle of still wine. Do you want Champagne on arrival for your quests, and then more later for a toast? Decide on say 2 or 3 glasses of sparkling wine per person in total. Equally, allow ½ bottle per person on average with the meal. To avoid running out, you may elect for Sale or Return, whereby unopened bottles can be refunded.
These are the basics to get you started. Depending on the venue, you may also want to talk to us about water and soft drinks, glass hire and waiting staff – we provide such services routinely throughout the year.
Generous discounts are available for quantity, and delivery service can be provided across the island of Ireland